RE: [alfa] re: 147 knock-off (Mazda 3)

> Are you talking about the cam-less designs that use
> electronic controlled actuators to move the valves? I didn't
> know anyone had taken that into production yet. I remember
> reading about it a few years ago though, so it has been long
> enough for it to go into production use. At the time, if I
> remember the article, they first did it to see if they could,
> then they were going to try racing with it. I just wish I
> could remember who "they" was. It's been too long.

Ford is doing a lot of work in solenoid actuated valve trains, and IIRC
Renault has used it in F1 racing (I could be wrong on that one).

It's been a while since I looked at solenoid technology, however I'm not
sure it's so easy to control lift.  It certainly does make it much
easier to control (and change) timing and duration.

bs