Re: [alfa] re: 147 knock-off (Mazda 3)

I'm pretty certain Porsche have a system where the cam lobes for
both the intake and exhaust valves are moved according to various
conditions eg RPM, rate of change of RPM, torque etc.

I was talking to a mechanic the other day at a machine shop, and he
has a bit of experience with motor cycle engines. Some engines even
have 8 (yes eight!) valves per cylinder. Also rotating heads where a disk
with a hole in it rotates to the intake and exhaust position, but this is
not
very good because the port is only open for 1 degree for each rotation.

I've also seen rotating spheres with slots cut in them that rotate in the
heads.
I have no idea how effect this is, but to me it makes sense as there is not
up/down movement, just simple rotation. There is a US company than
manufactures these heads (I think mostly for racing) but the website did
show it fitted to a straight 6 Mercedes engine. Interesting, but I'm sure if
it was worth while, Ferrari might have been using rotating valves for a few
years now if it was :)

I'll shutup before this gets too off-topic :)

~Benjamin