[alfa] Euro-Cam timing with VVT

In a message dated 9/30/2003 4:58:06 PM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 10:43:12 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Paul Witek <pwitek@domain.elided>
> Subject: [alfa] Re: Euro-Cam timing with VVT
>
> I know that IAP used to sell a performance intake cam designed to be used
> with the VVT - haven't checked lately to see if they still do.  My wonder is if
> that cam would work with the early oil-pressure-driven VVT on the Spider
> engine which I have in storage...
>
> - - Paul Witek

       All Alfa spider VVT cams are oil pressure activated, to the best of my
knowledge.  The only real difference in the Bosch spiders is the method of
activation.  The early cars have a centrifugal advance mechanism.  The later
cars have a solenoid mounted on the valve cover that triggers activation.
        I prefer the early centrifugal advance intake cams.
       The cams themselves are the same.  Thus the same aftermarket cam works
for all the L Jetronic spiders and for the last of the Spica spiders.  The
Vick Auto catalog lists one cam for spiders from 1980 to 1989.  IAP's latest
catalog still lists these cams.
       For what it is worth, the Motronic intake camshaft is different.  It
will physically fit the early head, but the base circle for the cam lobes is
about 3/8 inch larger.  The Motronic engine has shorter intake valve stems to
compensate.  The Motronic cam would have be ground down to work in an early
engine.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City