[alfa] Alfetta round headlamps substitutes

In AD 825, Benjamin in Australia wrote:
>I'm searching for a set of 5 3/5" lenses for my RHD Alfetta sedan. The
grille appears to accept sealed beam units.... The actual supporting
assembly is Carello, so I am assuming Carello also originally supplied Alfa
with lenses.<

Well, as per Beatle (AD 830), my experience has been with Alfetta GT rather
than
sedan, but yes the Euro GT did come with Carello as Beatle says.

 >From what I've read on the net, I can either use a completely sealed beam
unit (which seems silly as the whole lens will then have to be replaced when
a globe blows), or a separate lens with a receptical for the globes.<

Again as Beatle says, no such luck - if the Euro sedan is like the Euro GT,
then only the original Carello round lamps (with their unique funky mounting
brackets on the backshell) will fit on to the unique funky mounting
receptacles in your grille.

>I do have a set of 4 Carello lenses on sub-assemblies, but they have a
different mounting setup - they have little white nylon socket/clips that
attach to a ball joint which can be screwed in and out for adjusting the
angle of the light. I'm guessing these units were for the for Alfetta GTV
and/or late model GTV's. Could anyone confirm what car these units are for?<

If they're from an Alfa, then they sound exactly like those used on the
later versions of the Alfasud Sprint, the Sprint QV as it was known here
(don't know how it was named in other markets). Later versions of the
Alfasud tiQ also used that nylon-socket mounting scheme but their lamps were
usually Siem
brand.

Beatle also wrote:
>Some possible good news: I had an ex rally GT which had what I believe was
a US grille assembly with the lense holders-adjuster separate from the
glass. Any proprietary 5-3/4" lense would fit and you have a wide choice of
sealed-beam or H4 bulb types<

I may be able to elaborate on what this probably was. The US Alfetta GT &
GTV6 were
fitted with US-made headlamps (a local regulatory requirement), which were
common or garden sealed beam lamps which don't have the funky Euro brackets
match those on the car grilles. So the US cars were fitted with a set of
four neat adaptor shells which mount on to the Euro car's funky
grille-brackets and then accommodate any standard generic headlamp, sealed
or semi-sealed according to your taste. Beatle's ex rally GT appears to have
had these on its grille.

I got a set of these adaptors from the US a few years ago. They're really
cool. They mount right in to your standard Euro Alfetta GT grille and then
all you do is buy the standard round headlamp of your choice & clip it
straight in
to the adaptor.

I'm currently after some more adaptor-sets from US GT/GTV6 wrecks, for
Alfetta-owning friends in NZ whose Carellos have got the usual Carello
disease. Am corresponding with several US Digesti who may be able to supply
these bits, but no luck so far, so if any other US readers have any for
sale, I'm sure we can use a few more adaptor-sets. (Joe E, still have your
contact for your partial set if req'd, thanks).

Best regards,
Graham H,
NZ
'77 Alfetta GTV + other Alfas