Re: [alfa] Webers and MPG

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, sherwood white wrote...
> i heard some were that next year one of the formula 1
> teams is switching from fuel injection to carbs?
> does anyone know witch team?

No, I heard they are changing to SPICA. Each time they
arrive at Friday practice, instead of programming their
Electronic Fuel Injection with their notebook PC, they will
fax their requirements to Wes Ingram who will send a custom
recalibrated Spica pump, by special priority delivery
overnight courier to reach the track in time for Saturday
qualifying.

Actually that's several different SPICA pumps, optimised to
cover the entire temperature/humidity range expected on
qualifying and the race itself. Since the cars are impounded
after qualifying, the team will pray the conditions don't
change too much between qualifying and race day. ;-)

IMHO, I suspect that both systems have their place and those
that are expert in the SPICA system, can probably get better
results that the average person with carbs (and vica versa).
To compare either system with modern F1 electronic engine
management is ridiculous, but good luck with whichever yours
has been blessed with.

Alex Jenner
Auckland/New Zealand
2xalfasuds with 2xdellortos and 2xwebers between them.