Re: [alfa] SPICA Fuel System

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003, George Graves wrote:
> While this will be no problem after Jan 1, 2004 (as your car will fall
> under the no smog test required rule) be advised that there are a

Actually, George, for some reason a '74 model can be licensed without
smog today.  The DMV's interpretation is the current year - 29.  Says so
on their site, and I know several people who've registered '74 MY cars
without smog, who were just as surprised as I was.  In January, a 1975 MY
Alfetta can be legally registered or renewed here without a smog check.
Don't ask me to explain it.  My best guess is they use 30 years from
the year on the sticker being issued, so 2004-30 = 1974.

> number of legislative bills under consideration which will role that
> date back to the dawn of smog reduction, 1968 or 1969. Also, be advised

Please cite the bill numbers for me if you have them.  I try to keep track
of this stuff.  This is the first I've heard of this since early summer
(and that last measure was supposed to go all the way back to 1960,
and it failed).  There have been at least three serious attempts to
change SB42 since it came into effect in 1998, and all have died before
they got out of committee.  If you know of more efforts, please let us
all know so we can start the letter writing campaigns.

The "dawn of smog reduction" in CA is also 1965, not 1968, which was
the Federal "dawn".  You might also peruse the Health & Safety statutes,
which appear to grant CARB (not the DMV or the BAR) the power to push
this back into the '50s if they so choose (crankcase breathers, only).

jamesm