Re: [alfa] SPICA Fuel System

George,

First of all. I have no way of knowing where you live, but if you live in the benighted state of Calfornia be aware that if you replace your SPICA system with the Weber Carb set-up form IAP, It won't pass smog. While this will be no problem after Jan 1, 2004 (as your car will fall under the no smog test required rule) be advised that there are a number of legislative bills under consideration which will role that date back to the dawn of smog reduction, 1968 or 1969. Also, be advised that Webers, while arguably the very best carbs available, require a lot of fiddling to keep them running right. SPICA FI, on the other hand, once properly set-up, will work reliably and flawlessly without being touched just about forever. If you decide to go the Weber route, at the same time, purchase the $100 Synchrometer from them (page 67, current catalogue) and learn how to use it. You'll need it about every three thousand miles to sync the two carbs.

George Graves

On Friday, September 26, 2003, at 07:18 AM, alfa-digest wrote:

From: owner-alfa@domain.elided [mailto:owner-alfa@domain.elided] On Behalf Of
George Perolli
Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2003 11:09 PM
To: Alfa Mailign List
Subject: [alfa] SPICA Fuel System

I have recently purchased an Alfa Spider 1974 2000. It has the SPICA
fuel injection system. I have a hesitation problem. I brought it to an
Alfa mechanic who told me that the SPICA pump is not delivering equal
gas across the four ports. He says the problem is only going to get
worse. I accept that the car is 30 years old and that the pump probably
needs work. International Auto Parts sells rebuilt SPICA pumps and also
sells a Weber Carb conversion kit. As much as I want to keep the car as
original as possible, I want to enjoy the car and not have to be working
on it myself or have someone else work on it all the time.

My question is: If I install a rebuilt SPICA pump, am I going to
continue to have problems or will the car run well for the next few
years with little problems. Or should I convert the car to carbs and
have all my problems (as far as the fuel systems is concerned) go away.
I also would like to know if changing the SPICA pump or converting to
Weber carbs is something that I can do myself. I am good with a wrench
and have been told that I follow directions well. IAP says the carb
conversion is something that can be done by someone like me, but they
are selling the kit. I would like to hear it from someone else.