[alfa] flooded engines, trannys, etc.

Ever flood a transmission?  Hurricane Isabel did!  A couple of outbuildings on
my property in Hampton, VA got about 3 ft. of the river in them and trashed a
few items.  The trannys I just dumped the salt water out (all the oil had
already floated out), flushed with fresh water, dumped in a couple of quarts
of Spirax and sloshed, spun and shifted till I felt it was pretty well
distributed.  I expect to split the cases and inspect them before putting them
in a vehicle but no time for that now.  The two engines (a long ago stuck 750
and a 1600 that still turns freely) I'm not quite sure about.  I figured I'd
take the pans off, flush with fresh water and spray WD40 on everything I can
get to (including down the spark plug holes).  Any thoughts?  I also have a
low mileage limited slip diff. that I had planned to put in my Duetto some day
but I guess the clutches stand a good chance of being ruined.  The saddest
thing was my collection of automotive coffee table books (about 30, most of
'em Alfa) that had to go to the dump.  I didn't remember that they were in the
shed.  Oh well, I have neighbors with trees in their living rooms so I should
limit my whining.

Still cleaning in VA
Bill Sinclair