[alfa] Clutch Replacement

I am the proud owner of a 74 GTV 2000 which is beginning to show signs of
clutch slippage.  Assuming that I will have to replace the clutch at some
point in the not to distant future, I have a few questions for those digesters
who are a bit more mechanically knowledgeable than me.  Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

First question concerns the flywheel.  Some suggest it should be re-surfaced
and even re-balanced when replacing the clutch.
I would think that re-surfacing is essential but what about the extra machine
shop cost of re-balancing the wheel as well.  Any views on this?

Second question concerns a recommendation made by the late-Pat Braden in his
Alfa Owner's Bible.  Pat wrote that to replace the clutch, one should remove
the engine and gearbox as a unit form the car.  "This may seem unreasonably
major, but, having personally tried removing the engine and the transmission
individually, I can assure you that the removal of both items as a unit will
prove to be the fastest way to get the job done."  (Braden, Owner's Bible, p.
151).  Do you agree?

Finally, Braden also suggests replacing the "throwout bearing" at the same
time when replacing the clutch.  I checked the IAP parts catalogue and they
list the following as transmission bearings:

- the front input shaft bearing
- the rear input shaft cage bearing
- the front main shaft bearing
- the center main shaft bearing
- the rear main shaft bearing
- the front lay shaft bearing
- the rear lay shaft bearing

Perhaps the answer is obvious to most but which one of the above corresponds
to the "throwout bearing" that Braden is referring to?

Marc Grenier
Ottawa, Canada