RE: [alfa] Alfa Newbie

Marie,

There's a book on the market called "The Alfa Romeo Owners Bible" by Pat
Braden.   In this he covers all the things that need to be done to a
new-to-you car.  Especially one that's been sitting a while.

Initially, change oil & filter, coolant &flush brake fluid, brake pads,
inspect the rotors and calipers they're probably frozen or rusty.  Retension
the timing chain and check/set valve clearances.   Change cap/rotor/plugs.
Fuel filters.  Clean the fuse box and replace the fuses.  Clean all the
ground connections.  Change the trans and diff oil.

When changing the oil, you want to get rid of the oil in the cam galleys and
pour new oil in when filling.  The Spica oil filter should be changed but
that's a difficult job for a home mechanic if not experienced.

Check the wheel bearings for play.  Check and adjust the steering box.

I highly recommend the Braden book as well as the Cardisc CD manual.  Both
can be bought on EBay.

-Peter