Re: [alfa] Removing Broken Engine-to-Transmission Stud?

Greg Hermann wrote:
One of the VERY best ways to remove a broken stud is to lay a (slightly
oversize for the stud) hex nut over the stump--even if it is recessed down
the hole a bit--and then reach inside the hole in the nut with a TIG
(welding) torch and weld the nut to the end of the stud.
Since I don't have a TIG torch (yet... coming soon) I use that technique with my MIG welder, with very good results. I've never had any luck with so called "easy-outs". They always seem to snap off, and then you're twice as screwed.

If you have to drill them out, you might want to try a carbide spotting drill. They are super hard, and don't wander around like a twist drill. They don't cut like a twist drill, but you can use them to at least start the hole, which is the hardest part of drilling out a stud. Due to their design they are much less likely to snap off too.

Enco and MSC generally have import variety bits that are only a few bucks a piece. Money well spent if it saves you from snapping a drill bit off inside a stud.

Of course pretty good MIG welders can be had for cheap now (sub $400) and I don't think anyone should be without one. They are sooo handy to have.

--Mark
The Alfa Wiki http://alfa.denovich.org