[alfa] Re: Suspension bolt torque disaster

I don't think there is a torque specified for the pan bolts . . . at least I couldn't find in my service manual. I've always just cleaned them well and tightened them "tight" with a regular handle. If you torqued the other two to 60 ft/lbs, you might want to remove and replace them. They're probably damaged and could fail.

Hmmm...

From the #4607 Spider shop manual (from the days when they had L-Jets and rubber spoilers)
it says right here.. 80-90 N m, 8.2-9.2 Kg m, 59-66.4 ft lb.

ARRRRRGHHH!!! No, it DOSEN'T!!!

A ugly lightbulb goes on over my head.... As I review (gotta be the dozenth time I've looked at the picture) the illustration of the lower suspension, I only now see the ultra faint and broken lines that show where things go
actually point at the bolts that hold the ball joint and A arm ends together. They get the torque reading, not the $%^#%^# spring pan bolts!!!
I hang my head in shame..

All I have to say for myself is this is a reprinted copy of an original.. and you REALLY have to look to see the assembly lines well in these exploded diagrams. The torque figures are right next to the pan bolt and nut, as well as the ones they are actually pointing at.

Sigh..

So, they have "no" torque spec. So, where's a good general spec on 10mm x 1.0mm pitch bolts? Jim's chart says about 44ft lb for a 8.8 metric bolt.. though that dosen't specify thread pitch. Research today (McMaster-Carr catalog) would indicate that 1.5mm is regular pitch for 10mm, with "fine" thread of 1.25mm being available.

Let me back up a bit, is this bolt SUPPOSED to be the 8.8 10mm x1.0mm pitch that is in there? If I want to replace all hardware (and I do now.. even though only these two have been torqued) is there any reason not to go with a coarser thread but same size bolt? Strength differences??

Jon and Marcia (and Murphy)
77 Spider
Irvine, CA