RE: [alfa] Clutch Master Cylinder Rebuild Questions- 69 Spider

>From all I've read, silicone DOT5 fluid is more hydroscopic than DOT4
>mineral and DOT5.1 synthetic.  Do you get less moisture absorption >from the silicone?   I always understood it was for higher >temperatures.

My container of DOT5 silicone brake fluid specifically states that it
does not absorb water and this is the reason I have been using this
product for thirty years. DOT3 brake fluid is hygroscopic, meaning it
absorbs or attracts moisture from the air. The moisture in the air is
also accompanied by oxygen which reacts with steel to form RUST. Rust
in master cylinder bores is destructive to seals. I'm sorry to say, but
I know nothing of DOT5.1 brake fluid.
Gil Gagne
1986 Spider
Port Orange, FL