[alfa] Clutch Master Cylinder Rebuild Questions- 69 Spider

Regarding Robert Watson's clutch MC problems on his '69 Spider - going
through three in six years - I'm at a bit of a loss to understand why.

I must admit the clutch MC's that I've rebuilt / replaced for clients
probably don't get all that much use. Not sure if it is simply the fact
you drive your car a lot, but still...

First to point out for those aren't familiar with some of the '69
Spider's idiosyncrasies, the clutch MC is underneath the floorboards.

Do you have the shroud which covers the clutch MC? Yeah, I know, they
all get beat to heck. Should you have taken it off (and hopefully
saved), bang it out and reinstall it. The location is both good and bad.
You have virtually no engine heat (although it is somewhat close to the
exhaust), However it is susceptible to dirt getting into it - especially
if the shroud is missing. Along with that, I suspect the dust boot which
comes with new MC's or rebuild kits has a fairly short life. IF the
shroud is missing and IF the boots are cracked / broken when you R&R the
MC's I suspect dirt is working it's way into the internal shaft.

Possibility #2: You say the 'free play has been properly adjusted.
Autobooks gives the correct freeplay at the pedal as 1.5". It seems like
a lot. They say should it shorten to .75" due to wear on the friction
plate, You must readjust. It's a rather lengthy description to describe
(although a simple procedure), which I won't bother with unless you (or
other's) want the info.

Back to freeplay: Under most circumstances if the freeplay is not
correct, I'd surmise it would mostly affect the clutch friction plate -
however, the clutch actuation rod needs to move a distance of .75".

Assuming you've kept one of the old MC's, you might want to send it off
to a company who rebuilds them and have it analyzed to see why they're
having such a short life. Perhaps it needs a stainless sleeve along with
high quality seals and boot to hold up for you.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA