[alfa] Australian car history

Wondered if any Australian members could tell me how to go about tracing the history of an ex-Australian car.

My 1973 GTV 2000 was registered new in Australia.  In 1986, the then owner brought it with him to New Zealand.  It's since been sold twice in NZ, first from the ex-Australian owner, and the second time to me.  I've traced the NZ history through the usual NZ channels, but have no idea where to start tracing the Australian history.

I'm not asking anyone to do the work for me, just advice on which govt. agencies I should initially contact for registration details.  Do you have different registration regimes in different states there?  I don't yet know which state the car came from.

Kind regards,
Anthony White
Wellington, NZ