[alfa] RE: 164 up in flames

At 10:41 PM +0000 9/10/03, alfa-digest wrote:
If it makes you more comfortable to spend for imported metric fuel
hose, that's OK.  I just went to AutoZone and bought enough high pressure
Fuel & Emissions  SAE 30R7 5/16" (7.9M) dia. hose @ $1.00 per foot to
replace everything.
I'd say that you're pretty lucky to have gotten 32000 miles out of it. That's the hose that's frequently blamed for fuel leaks in European cars that are supposed to have 7.5mm fuel lines. It's the wrong size, and the wrong spec. 30R7 is only rated to 50psi working pressure. That doesn't give you shit for factor of safety. If you'd gotten high-pressure EFI hose (SAE 30R9) at AutoZone, you'd notice that it's actually more expensive than getting it in the proper size from a BMW dealer. I don't mean to be an ass, but I've seen this stuff installed on these cars, and even when it doesn't leak, it deteriorates very quickly. Even if it didn't deteriorate, I hate to think what would happen if the regulator failed (not unheard of) and the fuel rail pressure jumped over 50 psi. (In case anyone cares, I do feel safe using 30R7 in the wrong size for the RETURN line, since the pressure isn't as great and there aren't any of those push-on connectors involved.)

Joe Elliott
'82 GTV-6