[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V9 #781

Forget my last post. it's definitely a case engaging keyboard before engaging brain. I've done a little research, and I have found the following. The Montreal at 2892 lbs curb weight IS heavier than the GTV-V8 which is 2866 lbs, and are both heavier than the GTV-6 which was 2668. Power to weight ratios of the GTV-V8 vs the Montreal are almost identical at 151.54 hp/ton as opposed to 152.44 hp/ton respectively. The GTV-6, OTOH is at a bit of a disadvantage here with but 130.58 hp/ton. ALL three cars have a 4.10 rear-end. The GTV-6 and the Montreal have identical advertised top speeds of 132 mph, and the GTV-V8 is supposedly 137 (!). Now the part that doesn't jibe. The 0-60 times for all three cars are given as 7.6 for the Montreal, 9.3 (!) for the GTV-V8, and 8.8 for the GTV-6 (but I used to regularly get 8.1s with my stock 2.5 GTV-6). There is no way that I can see that the GTV-V8 with almost the identical p/w as the Montreal and the same rear-end ratio could be 2 seconds slower to 60. Somebody's specifications aren't right. Any one care to theorize?

George Graves
'86 GTV-6 3.0 'S'

On Wednesday, September 10, 2003, at 12:04 PM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 11:00:25 -0400
From: Joe Elliott <jee@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] re: GTV V8

Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 17:31:55 +0100
From: Darryl Davis <D.N.Davis@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] GTV V8

The web pages for the new AR 8cC also point to
 Alfetta GTV V8
 http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=110880
 Is this GTV6 with variation of Montreal engine?
 Did it make production?

- -- dd
I believe that was done by the Alfa distributor in Germany, and yes
it's a Montreal engine.  I think they made 20 of them.  (I find it
hard to believe that it takes 9.3s to get to 100km/h though.)
Autodelta was going to build an Alfetta with a lightweight aluminum
chassis and a Montreal engine bored out to 3.0L (the marine version).
That car, the Alfetta GT 3000, never saw production.

- -Joe