RE: [alfa] steering wheel freeplay

 > I recently acquired a '90 Spider and I'm trying to figure out what I
> need to
> replace or adjust in order to reduce the freeplay in my stering.  Any
> suggestions? .

Dante,
If your Spider has the usual worm & sector steering box, there may be
some wear that can be adjusted out. Under the hood, look at where the
steering column enters the steering box. On top of the steering box
there is a slotted screw with a large locking nut. Loosen the locking
nut and try turning the screw clockwise. It should turn easily but
don't turn it tight as it may make the steering wheel bind. Try just a
quarter turn or so and while holding the slotted screw, tighten the
lock nut. If this reduces the "free play" you're on the right track. If
the steering wheel now binds, the problem was not in the steering box
or the screw was turned too much. Also make sure the steering box is
filled with lubricant; if it leaked out you're sure to experience wear.
Gil Gagne
1986 Spider
Port Orange, FL