Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 14:30:36 -0400
From: "Ed & Marsha Prytherch" <mred2u@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] rear axle noise

My GTV has a whine that gets louder and increases in pitch as road speed
increases. It goes quiet when I get off the gas. I have assumed that it is a
differential problem and I have been looking for a good used rear axle. But
now I am wondering if the noise could be generated by the rear wheel
bearings. There is a good amount of play in the bearings. I don't want to
replace them if I am going to be replacing the axle, but I don't want to buy
an axle if the problem is wheel bearings. I need some good advice.
Thanks,
Ed Prytherch, Columbia SC
73 GTV
79 spider