Re: [alfa] 164 AC experience...

"I am in the process of upgrading/fixing my 1991 164S AC system.  I want
a killer system.  Any hints or comments on how to do this?  I am also
experiencing the hot air through the console problem.  How can I fix
this?  I have already installed a valve in the heater line and it helps
a little."

I suggest the following to maximize cooling effects:
1) make certain the condenser is clean
2) does both hi/lo speed work on radiator cooling fan?
3) install the VW thermoswitch to cycle the rad fan in lieu of OEM switch
4) if you're recharging the system make sure to replace the receiver/drier
unit
5) regarding the hollow bulkhead seal that runs L-R across the engine
compartment from fender to fender, insert a 1/2" dia. piece of solid foam rod
all the way through, and close the end caps with black silicone (improves seal
to bottom of hood, keeps hot air away from fan intake area).
6) lightly tint windows
7) use rear sunshades provided
8) use recirc air on hottest days, weather allowing
9) keep leaves and debris from building up in component bay at base of
windshield

Dave Jarman
Lexington KY
USA