Re: [alfa] Can't get full tank of gas in my Milano

Ted,

Actually I've known quite a few people that have had this problem...myself
included.

I didn't think I was alone

In my case, as well as the others, the pump doesn't shut off when
its close to full, it actually shuts off all the time.

When it's very hot, I found the large quantity of vapor in an empty tank
can overwhelm the vapor recirculation system in the pump stopping the
pump prematurely, especially if the gas station is busy.

I don't think its considered "topping off" when you're trying to get your gas
tank more than 3/4 full.

That may not be correct since force-feeding the tank at any level may be
viewed as defeating the vapor controls in the car and pump. I don't know
but I doubt it's relevant to Derek's problem. I found filling more
slowly is an irritating but effective way to increase the amount I could
get in the tank without forcing it.

Derek hasn't told us that he is doing anything other than relying on the
gauge and he needs to find out first whether the tank does not take the
theoretical volume or whether the gauge and sender are misleading him.
Hence my suggestion that he run the car to nearly empty and fill up. If
he can fill up more than 3/4 of the nominal capacity, he knows the gauge
is off. If he can only get in only 1/2 the capacity, then either it's
not as empty as he thought or he has to consider the other possibilities.

Nicky