RE: [alfa] Spider hood dents - sad engine mounts?

Karl -

Some thoughts ...

1) Tired engine mounts will cause the engine to sag, thereby reducing the
clearance between the sump and the road. New mounts wouldn't hurt.

2) A properly installed (unbent) sump guard, will help. Yes it will reduce
the ground clearance, but you will hit the sump guard before the sump,
preventing the engine from moving up into the hood (unless hit really hard).
Unfortunately, after a few good hits, you will have to either replace the
sump guard, or remove it and straighten it out. They make an awful
vibration/noise when they are bent and hitting the sump.

3) Make sure that all the hose clamps on the top of the engine, especially
around the throttle body are turned to provide as much clearance as possible
between them and the underside of the hood. IOW, they should be positioned
with the screw either underneath or on the side, not the top.

4) I'd guess that your car is new enough to not be suffering from sagging
springs. The car should sit pretty level front to rear when un-laden.
Compare the ride height to other cars of a similar vintage to be sure.

5) If all else fails, get the name of a good paintless dent guy, they can
work wonders as long as the paint is not broken.

HTH, YMMV ...

Jeff