[alfa] Spider hood dents - sad engine mounts?

In #765 Karl Robrock comments:'"I just had my spider completely
repainted (not just a paint job but an entire body restoration). I am
now determined to prevent my engine from bumping into the hood when I
bottom out. I have done it about three times since I bought the car and
never want to do it again. It happens surprisingly often on crappy
country roads around here."

********

Jeff Greenfield, as usual, has some very good advice.

While I wish everyone included this information, every time they post,
where do you live? I'm originally from Nebraska and a country road to me
means either dirt or gravel surfaced. Hold that thought for a moment.

It was a number of years ago a Digester, I believe in the San Francisco
area had major damage done to his car on a freeway. I vaguely recall
there was a huge pit in the road which he couldn't avoid and ended up
with major car damage. I'm quite sure he ended up suing (state? county?)
and won a settlement.

Perhaps with the help of a lawyer, or simply on your own, find out who
is supposed to maintain the country road / roads which give you so much
grief and let them know how much it has cost you over the years. I
personally wouldn't be adverse to adding something like, "And the last
time it happened, even though I was driving under the speed limit, I
came very close to losing control of the car."

They might care less about damage to your car, but someone seriously
injured or even killed because of their negligence might get the old
road grader and / or the asphalt patch guys out there fairly quickly.

Let's assume the roads are in better shape, you've replaced (if they
actually need it) the engine mounts, you belong to Triple A, and have a
cell phone - take the sump guard off. Unless you have a handy Alfa
mechanic, I'd order a complete oil pan from APE and have a set of
gaskets standing by in the garage.

Oil pans are not inexpensive, but as I'm sure you've just found out, it
is much more expensive to take out hood dents and repaint - assuming it
is done properly.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA