[alfa] Can't get full tank of gas in my Milano

Anyone know why fueling my 88 Milano Verde has always been a pain? Ever since I bought the car 18 months ago getting the fuel guage to register a full tank of gas has only happened a few times. I usually spend a fair amount of time trying to top off the tank since for some reason the gas pumps always stop short.

Well today I went through the usual fueling machinations. I even turned the filler upside down in the recepticle and topped it off several times. When I got in the car today the fuel guage said I only had 3/4's of a tank of gas! Now this is the worst instance of this by far. And now that I think about it I seem to recall that the past couple times I filled up that that the pumps stopped with even less fuel than usual. So maybe the problem is getting worse.

This is a really annoying problem, its bad enough that gas is $2.29/gal where I live, but having to visit the gas station more frequently than necessary is just going to piss me off even more.

I don't know what could possibly be going on in the fuel system that would be causing this problem. As with so many things with this car, I've never experienced behavior like this before in any previous car I've owned.

Any suggestions on a way to remedy this?

Thanks, Derek