[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V9 #761

In a message dated 9/3/2003 12:39:38 AM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 14:43:46 -0700
> From: "Stefano Iachella" <iachella@domain.elided>
> Subject: [alfa] Experiences with rebuilt starters?
>
> Cats,
>
> Do people have good experiences with rebuilt starters? I
> found a shop in Berkeley called Alternators Unlimited that
> quote me about $120 to rebuild my 2L starter; solenoid
> as well. It's a small shop but the shelves are lined with
> hundreds of units in plastic bags. It appears they do a lot
> of them.
>
> Does anyone recommend staying away from rebuilt units?
>
> And how hard is it to remove the starter. The last starter
> I removed was from a Pontiac GTO and it was a pain - it
> took two people and one exhaust manifold had to be
> removed to access it.
>
> Thanks,
> Stefano
> Oakland, CA

       Being cheap, I rebuild my own starters.  Normally a bit of sand paper
on the commutator, clean and grease everything is all that is needed.  The
starter may or may not need new brushes.
       So what year is your spider?  It makes a big difference.  The Spica
spiders are easy, just remove the air cleaner.  The Bosch spiders are much
harder due to the intake plenum.  The Motronic spiders are harder yet as the
radiator overflow bottle is at the rear of the plenum and must be removed so you can
get one arm down behind he plenum.  The last Motronic spider I found it
easier to remove the starter from underneath.
       Alfa changed to a gear drive starter in about 1986 or 87.  It is much
smaller and does not require the support from the front of the starter to the
motor mount.  Because of the large starter and the support to the motor mount,
the 82 to 85 spider starter is a pain to remove with the intake plenum in
place.
  Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City