[alfa] Re: Trunion adjustments to Center Rear Axle

I recently experienced this situation myself on my brother's 73 GTV.  First,
we measured the rear brake backing plates to the aluminum block on the body
that holds the limiting straps in place.  We found that the right side was out
about 1/2 inch and the left side in by 1/2 inch (wow!).   When we rebuilt the
rear suspension I had noted that the plates on either side of the trunion where
it mounts to the body were of different thicknesses.   So it appeared that
this is the method that the factory used to center the rear axle.  This was
futher confirmed by going through my box of old alfa hardware and finding three
more shims of different thicknesses.  From that point, we made some careful
measurements (we needed 1/4" thinner on the right and 1/4" thicker on the left),
took the trunion out of the car and re-shimed the rear axle and put the trunion
back in the car.  Subsequent measurements showed that the rear axle was
centered within a 1/32 of an inch (good enough for me).  Visually, the car axle
also appeared to be centered.  A few days later, when we aligned the car at a
reputable shop the machine showed the car absolutely square  (same toe on both
sides of the rear tires, an earlier alignment showed toe-out on the right and
toe-in on the left).

Good luck!

David Alexander
Riverside, IL