[alfa] oil separator

After following this thread, and watching the rain fall I figured why
not flush the oil separator on my 86 Graduate.  As I repeatedly rinsed
out the oil separator with WD-40 and Gas, I noticed pieces of what
appeared to be a rubber film coming out.  My assumption is that
this residue represented years of neglect since the separator is just a
metal device.  At one point I felt like I was playing a musical
instrument by block all of the openings and shaking the separator.

Hi Al.. Like that Ocarina Cleaning Method? ;-)

I'd guess that would be chips of paint. Never seen one cut open to know if the paint job covers inside and out.

I got a lot of flakes of rust and possibly paint out of mine. Since the engine blowby that goes thru there contains water vapor, besides exhaust gases and oil mist, if it clogs up there can be water and steel together for too long.
When it gets working again, the interior will soon be lightly coated with fresh oil and thereby somewhat protected from corrosion, so I wouldn't worry much about missing paint.

Then again, that film could be super condensed Crud(tm) looking like something else. Anyway, better its out of there so the separator can do what it's supposed to do, spin clean oil mist out of the crankcase blow by and send it back to the sump, and allow the engine to inhale the rest of the blow by, so it won't become smog and the engine won't have a high crankcase pressure.

Jon and Marcia
77 Spider
Irvine, CA