[alfa] Re: 164 cabin fuel vapor smell

Hi Mark,
I think you need to start in the trunk. Dig out all the carpets and spare
tire and the like.
Look way in the farthest reaches of the trunk to where the gas tank access
port is.
You need to make sure that all the components are present and in the correct
position. And even if they are you can have some gas weeping from cracked
plastic pipes, filler necks and a worn gasket.
It is a rather challenging area of the 164 to work in but careful examination
and reassembly with new gaskets and other cracked parts usually fixes the
fuel smells.
There is some good info for these procedures on the 164 Discussions webpages.
Look in the Tech Notes.
I hope this helps some.
Sincerely,
Jim Oiler
1991 164L (smells fresh as a daisy)
1969 912 (smells like Castrol and 40 year old wool carpet)