[alfa] Re: "American Style Shifting ?"

I'm w/ Paul Bayly on this one. Most of the older euro gear boxes (as mentioned by Vince S.) suffer the same 2nd gear synchro wear - not just alfa or italian. The Porsche synchros work well as long as they work. I believe that this is simply a combination of old design criteria (the Porsche synchro) and a function of the fact that most of our driving requires 1to 2, 2 to 3 and back down to 2 shifting - just the nature of the kind of driving most of us do. consequently, the synchros going into 2nd see most of the work and they wear out faster. The 105 boxes were designed in the 50's! anyone know how honda or datsun synchros from the 50's lasts? were there any? The alfetta trans were designed in the late 60s - early 70s??? again old school.
As to modern Alfa transmissions, I'm sure they have moved on along with the rest of the world - i don't hear 164 drivers complain about 2nd gear synchros - do these wear out early?? 155s? 156s? etc?
andy