RE: [alfa] failed rear wheel stud?

> Car:
> 1971 1750 Spider, BWA 14x6 alloy wheels
>
> Problem:
> While changing brake pads & rotors, I attempted to remove the driver's

> side rear wheel, but was unable because of a lug nut that wouldn't
come
> off. The nut loosened a bit, but apparently siezed on the stud and
> started turning that instead.
>
> This is the last year of the "backward" studs on the driver's side, so
> was *very* careful not to turn the nuts the wrong way. Unfortunately,
by
> the condition of the other lug nuts, other mechanics over time were
not
> so careful. Regardless, I now have a rear wheel I can't get off, at
> least with hand tools.
>
> Is this a repair for a garage, or can I do it myself? As I recall, to
> change out these studs requires removing the halfshaft of the axle.
> True? What's involved? Is there a trick I can use to try getting that
> nut off?
>
> I have "regular" studs for the front wheels, came with the rotor I
> bought. Where would I pick up a set of "regular" studs for the back?
>
> Is the job complex enough to warrant simply replacing the rear axle
with
> a different (prefereably LSD) one?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help!

Scott,

Your Spider came from the factory in perfect, optimal form.  It cannot
be improved using any of the methods you mention, including a later, LSD
rear end.  Also, get rid of those BWA's, and replace them with the
stock, steel wheels.

Whoops, just quoting from something I read on-line... :)

The real answer is that any Alfa friendly shop should be able to provide
the later, right hand thread wheel studs.  Make sure you get the longer
ones, the short studs work fine with steel wheels but don't give you
enough threads if you install mag wheels.  The studs  are easily
replaced, just remove the axle shaft using a slide hammer.  I'd replace
the seals and wheel bearings while you have things apart.

And yes, a later 4.56 LSD is a worthwhile addition, there should be
plenty of them out there.

bs