[alfa] failed rear wheel stud?

Car:
1971 1750 Spider, BWA 14x6 alloy wheels

Problem:
While changing brake pads & rotors, I attempted to remove the driver's side rear wheel, but was unable because of a lug nut that wouldn't come off. The nut loosened a bit, but apparently siezed on the stud and started turning that instead.

This is the last year of the "backward" studs on the driver's side, so I was *very* careful not to turn the nuts the wrong way. Unfortunately, by the condition of the other lug nuts, other mechanics over time were not so careful. Regardless, I now have a rear wheel I can't get off, at least with hand tools.

Is this a repair for a garage, or can I do it myself? As I recall, to change out these studs requires removing the halfshaft of the axle. True? What's involved? Is there a trick I can use to try getting that nut off?

I have "regular" studs for the front wheels, came with the rotor I bought. Where would I pick up a set of "regular" studs for the back?

Is the job complex enough to warrant simply replacing the rear axle with a different (prefereably LSD) one?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Scott Johnson
71 1750 Spider
Herndon VA