Re: Timing belt

Guy,

Why do you suspect the pump? Is is noisy? Is it leaking?

Possibly dumb ???s - before you rush off and splurge on a water pump,
have you (1) checked the temp gauge to make sure it's not your
gauge/sender which is the problem, (2) considered it is possible that
the thermostat is not up to your recently sub-tropical temperatures
and/or is is just not opening fully? A sender and/or a thermostat should
be rather cheaper than a pump.

Not much response to my question about water pump replacement on my 156, but
assuming that it does need replacing can anyone give advice on replacing the
timing belt please?

Is there a proceedure for locking the flywheel and camshafts before I remove
the belt so that it doesn't need to be re-timed?
Can the belt be re-tensioned without special tools?
Anything else to look out for with this job?

A badly installed/adjusted timing belt might cost you a new valve train
and cylinders ... without wishing to cast aspersions on your technical
skills, may I suggest it could mean less torment to your heart and
pocket to pay someone who has already gone up the learning curve?

Nicky