Re: alfa-digest V9 #738 - Spider resto (Rotisserie)

In a message dated 8/25/2003 12:06:15 AM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 16:43:33 -0400
> From: "Brian Shorey" <bshorey@domain.elided>
> Subject: RE: Spider resto (Rotisserie)

<snip>

> Use a rotisserie for cleaning the undersides, but when it comes time to
> start welding and stuff, support it on a lift.  You don't want to be
> welding seams and stuff with the car tilted sideways, as you might end
> up with it a little distorted when you're finished.
>
> bs

       The nice thing about a rotisserie is you can position the car to the
best angle for welding.  I can and do weld upside down, but I am not good at
it.  Plus gravity definitely helps the molten puddle meld into the surrounding
metal.  Most things that I have welded upside down get the welds ground down
and done a second time just to get a good job.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City