Spider resto (Rotisserie)

Back in #734 Beatle (Bayly) asks about the feasibility of using a
rotisserie whilst restoring his '73 Spider.

*********

I know many have used rotisseries with good results. I've never used one
nor would I - ever. As much as I hate working under a car, especially
scraping off caked on grease and removing rust, I'd prefer the car to be
solidly mounted. True, I'd prefer a lift, but somehow the budget never
seems to stretch that far.

For a rotisserie to work well and be safe, it has to be extremely
solidly designed and fabricated. Then there are the mounting points. I'd
guess the front four bumper mount points (although they aren't all that
strong on Series 2 Spiders) as well as the four jacking points. The
latter will most likely be in the way when cutting out and replacing the
rocker panels.

Additionally someone is going to have to fabricate the roll hoops
themselves which might be rather pricey. Then you'll need a very large
garage and open area. You'll have to have enough room to rotate it, at
least, 180 degrees.

Many people fabricate rolling tables or benches, generally using the
jacking points to secure it. Then they install large rollers / wheels
with locking capability so it will hold still when you want it not to
move - another problem with rotisseries.

These work especially well if you're removing both the front and rear
suspensions. Should you be replacing floor panels also, I'd make the
table extremely sturdy and keep tolerances very tight so it will support
the frame / body as you remove panels. Still, I'd remove only one at a
time and then completely weld in before proceeding to the next one.

I'd love to have something like I've just described, but with a tube
within a tube for the legs. Then perhaps using a long hydraulic ram such
as those used on engine hoists, front and back, be able to (slowly)
lower and raise as required. True, if you're alone, it would mean
jacking up only a small amount on one end then doing the same at the
other until you get it where you want. There are several ways it could
be locked in place once you're at the level you want - drilling a series
of holes and inserting pins all around is one way, but might weaken the
legs.

Not sure if this rambling helps or not. Should you go ahead with the
rotisserie, send photos.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA

Purely guessing I'd say a stripped, but with suspension still on, Series
1 Spider would be around 1,500 lbs - 1,300 to 1,400 with the suspension
off.