RE: 164LS Alternatives (why?)

From: Karl D <karld@domain.elided> asks...

>My turn, since nobody has said it yet: why do you need an alternative to a
164LS? Tossing money at the one you have, or seeking a lower-mileage example
will keep the smiles on your face at a lower cost than a new car. Hold-out
for a few more years then buy a new one with a Northstar engine <g>

Fair question Karl.  At the moment, I have 5 cars in my garage/driveway.
Two are unregistered, 1 has no head, 4 have inoperable A/C; to net it out,
they all need some type of work.  The newest of the five in now 13.5 years
old.  I realize it would probably be cheaper to hand someone a fist full of
money and give them a laundry list of things to "fix" on the 164, but I just
don't trust anyone other than myself to do the work right.  Most people who
know me laugh when I tell them I need a new car, but then I re-emphasize the
"new" part.  Hell, it doesn't even have to be new off the showroom floor -
I'd settle for something made within the last five years!  I just need
something with 4 doors that is "appliance reliable", but I won't drop to the
level of an Accord/Camry/Taurus - aren't they all the same car any way???

Brad