RE: V6 timing belt - racer's view

aggarcia@domain.elided wrote...
>The race cars either have the original style oil feed unit or a Zat fixed
>unit. In 7 years of racing, I have never had a tensioner failure as a
>result of going off the track backwards.

One detail Andrew may have left out is the manner in which the original
style tensioner can be used.  Often what is done is the oil feed is blocked
off (just as you would when "upgrading" to the later style unit), and the
tensioner is used in a "fixed" fashion.  That is how I've been running for
the last three years without issue, as have many others.  Just install and
set the tension using the same procedure as you would for the "old"
tensioner.  Having witnessed the carnage that can occur from a failed
mechanical tensioner (on an 800-mile motor), I will never use the mechanical
tensioner again.  Suggested replacement interval might be a bit sooner with
this approach, but I never let my belts go anywhere close to the full 60,000
miles regardless.

Brad