Timing belt poll and ignition timing question

the hood is definitely a good thing to remove, it makes getting around the front of the motor easier. removing the radiator is a matter of preference, since you already have the hoses out it is easy, and you can clean it off really well.

I have a some interesting info about 86 GTV6 ignitions:
As you know, the later GTV6's had a Bosch "digital electronic ignition." This was supposed to control ignition advance, inresponse to various inputs. These inputs are, specifically, RPM, temperature, and the throttle switch. However, if you've ever looked at your distributor, you will notice that there is ALSO a vacuum line going to the throttle body. If you apply vacuum to this line, the timing advances. If you disconnect this line, and run up the RPMs while checking the timing, you will find that the spark advances independently of the vacuum capsule. So the ignition box DOES advance the spark. The distributor seems to be good for about half the advance, and the spark box does the rest. Together, they advance the spark to about 30 or so degrees above 3000 RPM. All the advance is in by then. The temperature input to the spark box was subject to an Alfa tech bulletin advising disconnection. The throttle switch retards (as I recall) the spark about 2 degrees at idle. Does anybody know why they used both vacuum and electronic advance systems???

Finally, does anybody have a distributor from an 81-83 GTV6 I can experiment with???

Thanks,
Al