Tail Light Question

I have a question about the tail light bulbs on my '89 Spider Veloce.
The books say that the tail light bulb should be the same as the brake
light and the turn signal, but that size bulb won't fit through the
hole.  The bulb for the backup lights fits the socked and fits through
the hole - is that the one that's supposed to be used?

Oddly, the current burned-out bulb is the larger one, and I can't get it
back through the hole into the trunk compartment to change it.  What am
I missing here?

Joe Jacob
'89 Veloce