Re: 164 clutch throw-out question

Well, I have myself and the revered Karl Robrock to back me up on this.  For
the Q and the LS (maybe not the S), the throw-out bearing must snap into the
clutch plate.  The clutch then pulls on the pressure plate, rather than
pushing (like most conventional clutches).  On my Q, the throw-out bearing,
both on and off the car, required too much pressure to snap it in
"statically" (OEM Alfa parts).  Trust me, Karl and I tried for a while and
would have busted the clutch lever right off the tranny and still not had
the throw-out bearing (along with its snap ring retainer) pop into the
pressure plate.

Experimenting with the old pressure plate and throw-out bearing (which, by
the way, the throw-out bearing had pulled apart after 113,000 miles while
the original clutch still measured within the new thickness tolerance with
original machine marks still on the flywheel!) we found the same issue.
However, by rotating the throw-out bearing relative to the pressure plate,
it would pop in.  Consequently, we cranked the engine while applying reverse
pressure to the clutch lever and "voila" we were good to go.

That's how it all went down for me.  Of course the Cardisc didn't give a
procedure, so we developed it ourselves.

-Jason Hagen

'73 Spider
'95 164Q