Heater side vents not working

Hi -

The side dash vents for my 73 Spider's heater don't work. The fan works, and air will blow out by your feet or by the defroster. But with the selector all the way down, you can hear the fan working extra hard (like something's not opening up), and no air...

I have the dash off but am hoping not to have to pull the heater core. I don't feel like spilling coolant everywhere. Any suggestions as to what might be blocking it?

Still a bit newbie... I couldn't figure out how to gain access to the wiper motor area, so I don't know if the vents are blocked down in there?

Thanks

- Matt