Re: Carfax

How can one check their VIN number with Carfax when they insist it has
to have 17 numbers and it only has two letters and 7 numbers?

They claim they can check cars from 1961 to present. This is a '69.

Biba
Biba:

According to the Carfax web site they are unable to report on any car built prior to 1981. Here is an excerpt from their web sites 'help center':

Question:
Why can I not obtain a CARFAX Report on vehicles made before 1981?

Answer:
We are unable to provide you with vehicle history information for vehicles manufactured prior to 1981, when the 17 character VIN became standard. The 17 character VIN is the code that is used to access CARFAXs vehicle history information database.

To our knowledge there are no sources from whom pre-1981 vehicle history information is available readily. You could try to contact vehicle-specific clubs or groups focused on older vehicles.

Hope this helps,
Craig
Boise, ID (soon to be Spokane, WA!)
78 Sport Sedan