Re: Oil Light Flickering

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003, Douglas R. and Julia R. Harris wrote:

>     For the first time ever (I've owned my Alfa for two years), the oil
> light flickered on today.
>     It's a low-mileage, unmolested 77 Spider.  (The gauge has always
> read close to zero at hot idle; when I first drove it, this concerned me
> so I hooked up an external gauge that showed good pressure.)
>     When the light came on today, it was hot and it flickered just at
> idle.  When I blipped the throttle it went out.  Is this okay?

Do you still have an external guage you can use to check it out.

My light started coming on too, on a 74 spider, and I had a drop in
pressure on my guage too. I haven't got a guage to check it yet so I just
parked the car to be safe.

Someone posted that the light appears to come on about 1 psi. That's
pretty low. I had another mechanic tell me that it is supposed to come on
under 6 psi. When I first got the car the light would come on at idle, but
the PO had 10w30 in the engine too, and the car didn't like it. It's been
over a year on 20w50 until this happened.

Greg