Daily drivers

What does or does not constitute a good daily driver depends so much
more on one's mechanical abilities and one's expectations than on any
merits of the car in question. If you're a fairly decent shade-tree
mechanic, and you don't expect to spend a lot of time dominating the
fast lane, then any reasonably reliable old warhorse (such as any Ford
from 1927 through 1967} can be a perfectly useful choice. For a few
years recently I used a '60 Falcon as my everyday car, which role it
filled quite nicely; I can't imagine that a Giulia or Giulietta would be
any less usable. As long as the car is properly maintained, an older
vehicle such as this can actually be a better choice for daily service,
given the lower registration costs, ease of service, availability of
parts and freedom from smoggery. For me, the Milano represents a
compromise: yes, it's a newer car, and more able to keep pace with (or
better yet set pace for!) modern traffic, but it has to pass its smog
test every other year, and any truly serious problem requires a trip to
see Mr. Bill, because I am not going to tear into that engine, though
were it a 4-cylinder I would have fewer qualms.

The 105 Berlina I had to sell last year was an excellent beater, and I
frankly wish to hell I had it back. I hope Greg is having fun with it...

Will Owen
Pasadena, CA