RE: game theory etc.

> > Now you tell me.  No wonder no one gets it when I refuse to pass on
> > the right and sit there behind the asshole flashing my lights at
> > 45mph in the passing...err...left lane.  On a more serious note, I
> > still think it's dangerous to overtake on the right,
>
> I agree with you and will NOT do it under any circumstances.

I will.  I used to sit in the left lane, blood pressure rising, waiting
for the bonehead in front of me to wake up and start driving (more often
than not they're looking in their rear view mirror, deliberately trying
to block the faster driver coming up behind them).

Now I give it a minute, then calmly and safely move over and go by where
it's convenient.

> > and I'd love to
> > see that study.  I'm not sure how having a car in every available
> > lane going 45mph and blocking all traffic could possibly be more
> > efficient than having all the slow traffic in the right-most lane.
>
> Neither can I.

I can.  Don't think of every car doing 45 mph, think of different cars
going different speeds in no particular order, or lane.

If you're on a three lane road, and have to cross two lanes (from right
to left) to pass somebody, it's less efficient than if you can pass him
while remaining in the lane you're already in.

And if you're in the center, and want to pass somebody in front of you,
who can say which side is most efficient (from a queuing theory point of
view) to pass on?

Obviously, grouping people in specific lanes based on their driving
speed would be most efficient, but failing that, shortest path around
somebody is most efficient.

bs