Exhaust Mod

       I have welded up my own Alfa exhausts for years.  Most of the time, I
just weld the stress cracks the seem to develop in the Alfa exhausts.
       The front resonator is not a restrictor.  It adds "resonance" to the
exhaust note.  My experience is that removing it causes the exhaust to be very
raspy or tinny sounding - not at all pleasant, in my opinion.
       The center muffler on the Alfa does all most all the muffling.  If you
want LOUD, replace the center section with a straight pipe.  At that point,
you would have the front resonator and a rear muffler section of your choice.
       If you want medium noise, replace the center muffler with a glass
pack.  Then run a straight pipe on the rear or a rear section with the muffler
of
your choice.
       I really like the idea of a MAGNAFLOW center section.  If anyone knows
where to get one, please let us know.

       If you take the car to a muffler shop to have them replace some or all
the mufflers with straight pipe or glass packs, make sure they reuse the
existing pipes.  The flange in front of the rear axle is commonly replaced on
custom made exhaust systems.  That makes the exhaust hard to remove for other
repairs and you cannot replace only a portion when the system fails in a few
years.
       I also like the flange on the front of the center section on the Bosch
spiders.  The early slip joints are hard to get apart for repairs /
replacement.
       So cut and weld to your hearts content.  Or just buy a Stebro.  I have
never tried the Stebro, but they come highly recommended.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City