Racing Oil

Brian

    "pure" racing oil, like redline, has no detergents, so extended use, as in
a street car, doesn't work out well.

    The Valvoline petro-based racing oil has all the street-necessary
additives(as does AMsoil), so it's been excellent in both applications in my
experience.

    I first tried it in an old Alfetta.  Fresh Castol 20w-50 would show zero
pressure on the guage when hot.  The Valvoline racing read 20# at idle.  The
only relative disadvantage to Mobil 1, in my view, is the loss of extended(1
year/10k) mile drain interval, and some claimed performance loss "friction",
though I've not been able to quantify that on the racetrack.
And, I get bored if I don't change my oil every three months, anyway.

    Ray