speedo cable replacement for 86 Spider?

My 1986 Spider Quad's speedo stopped functioning, and I see that the outer
harness of the cable (the end visible in the engine bay) has been chewed
up badly. This speedo cable was only about a year old--it was replaced when
the previous one failed!

Two questions follow below.

1)
I'd like to change the speedo cable myself. Is it a straightforward job?
I have the CarDisc for my car, but cannot find any mention
in the service manual of the replacement procedure for the speedo cable!
(If it's in there and I just haven't found it, can someone tell me the chapter
and page numbers?)

2)
Is there a tech article on the web about how to replace a speedo cable?
I saw an old digest posting saying that such an article existed, but there
was no link provided to it. And I haven't been able to find any such article
after many web searches.

Many thanks,
-Brad, bkarp@domain.elided
86 Spider Quad (daily driver: spring, summer and fall)
2002 BMW 325xi (daily driver: winter)