Mechanical, ticking sound in Spider

Hi All,

My 93 Spider Veloce has developed a ticking/mechanical noise. It is not
coming from the engine, but rather nearer the front. The noise is pretty
loud when the car is first started and gradually goes away as the engine is
warmed up. By the time the engine is up to operating temperature, the noise
is completely gone and won't reappear until the engine has cooled down.
Sometimes the noise will stop completely when I switch on the A/C and start
up again when I switch it off. I was wondering if the noise could be a
bearing in the A/C compressor, or will a worn belt cause this kind of
behavior?

Thanks for any input.

Ken