Since the silicone releases acetic acid as it cures, maybe vinegar will act as a solvent? Not something I'd look forward to, though. You might also try something flat, like a spatula, to lift or scrape it off the dash, rather than just wiping it around. Does GE have a "hotline" phone number listed on the tube? Buona fortuna.

Regards,

Dean

At 11:10 AM 7/27/2003, you wrote:

Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 11:06:09 EDT
From: GModelle@domain.elided
Subject: GTV dash cap installation

Gentle Alfisti,
This weekend was spent attempting to take the low-buck route and install a
plastic dashcap that was purchased on ebay. Provided with the cap was a tube of
GE silicone adhesive. This stuff normally makes a great bond, but this
time...man what a mess. After two days clamped, the silicone never set up. I have
removed the cap and accepted my fate to clean the disaster up and try again.
The problem is that this nasty greasy silicone isn't cut by anything. The more
I try to remove it, the more it just gets spread around. The aim of this
effort is to get the original surfaces clean enough to accept new glue. Does
anyone know what will dissolve this failed silicone? Thanks, Digest,
modelle in somers point