GTV dash cap installation

In a message dated 7/27/2003 10:14:21 AM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 11:06:09 EDT
> From: GModelle@domain.elided
> Subject: GTV dash cap installation
>
> Gentle Alfisti,
> This weekend was spent attempting to take the low-buck route and install a
> plastic dashcap that was purchased on ebay.  Provided with the cap was a
> tube of
> GE silicone adhesive.  This stuff normally makes a great bond, but this
> time...man what a mess.  After two days clamped, the silicone never set up.
> I have
> removed the cap and accepted my fate to clean the disaster up and try again.
>
> The problem is that this nasty greasy silicone isn't cut by anything. The
> more
> I try to remove it, the more it just gets spread around. The aim of this
> effort is to get the original surfaces clean enough to accept new glue.
> Does
> anyone know what will dissolve this failed silicone?  Thanks, Digest,
> modelle in somers point

       I bet your silly cone was out of date and would not harden.
       Permatex Spray Gasket Remover will cut silly cone on metal parts.  Not
sure what it might do to plastic, so test it.  The gasket remover is pretty
potent, but easily cut with water.
       The Gasket remover is about the only thing I have found that will cut
old dried brown Aviation Permatex that so many mechanics seem to use.  Before
it dries, it is easy to wipe off with lacquer thinner, but dried is harder.  I
always try to clean all evidence of gasket sealing compounds from the
exterior of all parts.  Off subject I am, just one of my pet peeves.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City